What kind of doctor should i see if i think i have arthritis?

Rheumatologists are specialists in arthritis and diseases affecting bones, muscles, and joints. They are trained to make difficult diagnoses and to treat all types of arthritis, especially those that require complex treatment. You may be referred to an orthopedist if you have a type of degenerative arthritis. Rheumatologists: Rheumatologists specialize in musculoskeletal diseases and autoimmune diseases.

They treat all types of arthritis, including osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, and psoriatic arthritis. Rheumatologists may be internists or paediatricians with additional training and qualifications. They have the expertise to diagnose and treat many of the more than 100 systemic forms of adult, juvenile and temporary arthritis. They treat mechanical diseases of joints, bones, muscles, and soft and connective tissues. During the physical exam, doctors examine the joints for swelling, redness, and warmth.

They'll also want to see how well you can move your joints. A rheumatologist does not perform any surgery. If surgery is indicated, the best option would be an orthopedic surgeon. Primary care physician: A primary care physician can manage osteoarthritis with standard treatments, such as anti-inflammatory pain relievers and referral to a physical therapist.

Most doctors, regardless of their specialty, are likely to refer people with osteoarthritis to a physical therapist.